So, you’re doing everything right when it comes to creating royalty streams for yourself. You’ve got your music streaming on every major DSP, you’re selling vinyl and CD’s, your music is on the radio, and it’s all going well. Did you know there are other ways your music could be making you money? Here are 5 often overlooked ways to make more money off your songs…
5 Ways To Make More Money Off Your Songs
When someone uses your song as a ringtone, this generates a mechanical royalty. Mechanical royalties are earned per-unit when a song is sold on a “mechanically reproduced” physical medium (think vinyl, physical CDs), and nowadays, this includes ringtones.
- To help you out with this, Symphonic Publishing Administration was designed for the worldwide collection of all music publishing royalties, specifically tailored for the independent artist. // With it, we can collect your mechanical and performance royalties for you by registering each one of your songs in every individual performance AND mechanical rights organization in over 60 territories.
The most engaging video games have great soundtracks to go with them. There’s a reason players get so immersed in their virtual worlds, and the music is a major part of that.
Consider putting out an instrumental version of one of your best tracks just for gaming playlists.
Having your music available for Karaoke is a great way to get some extra money. Everytime someone sings your song, you earn streaming royalties. // For additional karaoke guidelines, click here.
Sharpen your skills…
Remix Your Own Song
The best artists in the game release multiple versions of their greatest hits. Reworking your old songs doesn’t have to be limited to one new version either, there are many ways you can do this. You could do things like:
- Record an acoustic version of your top performing track.
- Release a recording of the live performance of a song your fans love.
- Put out an instrumental mix for sync licensing in film and TV.
- Collab with a DJ to create an amped up electronic mix of your original.
Enter Remix Competitions
These competitions offer a chance to get seen and appreciated by thousands of people all over the world, royalties from sales of the release, cash prizes, and even free promo. Not only that, practicing the skills it takes to do great remixes will help you improve as a producer and create better work in the future.
Proper licensing is one of the most important processes for independent artists. As a Symphonic Distribution client, we can help. With us, you have the opportunity to apply for representation by our in-house sync licensing division, Bodega Sync.
- If accepted, Bodega will help place your music by pitching to music supervisors and advertising agencies, negotiating licensing deals, and completing all the paperwork to make sure you get paid properly. // Click here to Apply for Sync Representation with Bodega Sync.
When it comes to royalties, what might not seem like much at first adds up over time. Take the time to set yourself up now, and future you will thank you later.